Located on the west coast of the USA, California is the most populated of the 50 states. While being home to some of the largest cities in the country California is famous for setting trends and at the forefront of innovation.
It is easy to leave the cities behind and once you do California opens up to a countryside full of diverse and unparalleled nature. From one end to the other California changes from giant redwood forests, to engulfing granite cliffs and fertile valley farm land. It is easy to be absorbed by the vast stretches of nature California has to offer.
at a glance
in a sentence
- Located in the United States of America
- Currency is the US Dollar (USD)
- Capital city is Sacramento
- Official language is English
- Legal drinking age is 21
- Age to legally buy tobacco is 18
- Electrical plug type A and B, which is two flat pins in a vertical alignment
- 110 Volt AC outlets at 60 Hz
- Driving is on the right side of the road
- Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8:00, with daylight savings UTC -7:00
Best time to visit
Year-round! California offers 4 distinct seasons with plenty to do.
Must See & Do
- Yosemite National Park.
- The USS Midway museum.
- Venice Beach.
Hostels in the major cities are expensive. Try your hand at Couchsurfing or if you are more than one person rent a campervan to save on accommodation and gain the freedom to explore!