Home to 15 archipelagos and thousands of islands, French Polynesia is the definition of island paradise. World renowned as the honeymoon destination, French Polynesia is slowly opening up to independent and budget travel. Right now this beauty still comes at a price, compared to other backpacking countries, but that price can be worth the stunning beauty French Polynesia offers.
French Polynesia is...
- Located in the South Pacific
- Currency is the French Pacific Francs (XPF)
- Capital city is Papeete
- Official language is French but Tahitian is the natural language
- Legal drinking age is 18
- Age to legally buy tobacco 18
- Electrical plug type A and B, which is two flat pins in a vertical alignment
- 220 Volt AC outlets at 50 Hz
- Driving is on the right side of the road
- Tahiti's time zone is UTC -10:00
At a Glance
In a Sentence
Everywhere in French Polynesia is beautiful. But it takes money to experience the best that the islands have to offer.
Best Time to Visit
The weather depends on what archipelago you plan to visit but for the most part anytime from May to October should be perfect.
Must See & Do
- Visit Fakarava.
- Hike Mt. Teurafaatiu (Maupiti Island).
- Snorkel or scuba dive anywhere.
If you are on a backpacking budget 3-4 days per island is plenty of time. Don't try to oversee. It is okay to only visit a couple of islands.